Monday, December 31, 2012

Best of 2012: Music


Welp, it’s Music Day on our “PTA Recap of 2012 Tour.” Thus far you’ve enjoyed movies, TV, Tech/App…but today is the day you have been waiting for. Today is the day we unveil just how hip/retro/nerdy/high-school-girl/trendy/sophomoric/savvy we are when it comes to music. (Are you nervous? I am, a little bit.)

I’ll start.


For me, the best song to come out of 2012 was Ho Hey, The Lumineers. American Folk Rock band out of Denver that debuted in April. Here is the best endorsement I can give this song: Our family generally roadtrips at night. And when it’s late, and everyone is asleep, I put on the ol’ iPod and a selection of raucous tunes that I love and have personally selected keeps me company. This has gone on for years and years, yet, for the first time ever, just on our last trip, Katie rolled over from her passenger-seat nap, tapped my shoulder with a smile, and said, “I can hear you singing that out loud while you listen to it. I’ve never heard you do that before.” (I don’t generally sing in front of anybody. I am horrible at it. But I couldn’t help it while listening to Ho Hey.)


My Guilty Pleasure: What Makes You Beautiful, One Direction. I was chaperoning a youth dance in May when this song came on and the place went berserk. The energy and enthusiasm of youth just exploded all over the room. I hadn’t previously heard it, but I’ll admit it, it made me a bit nostalgic for dances I went to as a teenager. I was completely caught up in watching youth that I already loved (including a few of my own children) jump up and down together, singing in unison to this little ditty. Now it always makes me smile.

What’s that? You want to hear what Josh has selected? Very well.


Best: Mumford and Sons, Babel - This could either be about the album Babel or the song of the same name. It’s probably a little cliché, but I love the twangy, alt-country, moustache wearing hipness of Mumford and Sons. I want to listen to their music all day AND dress like them.


Gulity Pleasure: Somebody that I Used to Know by Gotye. Do we still say a song is “overplayed?” I guess, this song became pretty ubiquitous this summer, but I don’t really listen to the radio anymore, so I pretty much only hear the songs I want to hear and I wanted to hear this one a lot. I heard this song first when Gotye was on SNL and immediately went and downloaded it and then listened to it on repeat 1 trillion times.

You want more, loyal reader? Oh, you are insatiable. Here is from our very own Brett, who, when it comes to music, claims he is not “with-it” like he was in college. Well, Brett is in good company, as all of PTA is on that bus now.


Best - Gossamer, Passion Pit. I select my favorite music these days by the number of plays it gets through the year. I wore this one out. I think I listened to only this for a month straight. It's so happy, complex, full, and foot stompingly good.


Guilty Pleasure - "Call Me Maybe" Carly Rae Jepsen. I don't know how I even know this one. Yes, I do. I have an eight year old girl who knows it by heart and sang it over and over. You'd think that I'd hate it but I actually love that she loves it and that is why it's a guilty pleasure.

Chris chimes in with his picks as well.


BEST: My favorite album of the year was Barton Hollow, by the Civil Wars. Who knew I could get all country with my Civil Wars listening and Nashville watching? But I did. I ALSO LOVED: El Camino, by the Black Keys. Fear Fun, by Father John Misty. Suicide Pact, by JJAMZ. Release Me, by The Like. Happy to You, by Miike Snow.


GUILTY TUNES I BOUGHT and secretly listened to a lot in my car:
Somebody That I Used to Know, by Walk Off the Earth
Hang With Me, by Robyn
Tekitoi, by Rachid Taha
Super Bass, by Nicki Minj
Meddle, by Little Boots
Wide Awake, by Katy Perry
Brokenhearted, by Karmin
Ta douleur, by Camille

 But I’ll deny knowing any of those songs!

Patrick's Best:


Hold On, by Alabama Shakes. So so SO so SO good... serious, go find it and listen.  Heads up, that's a lady singing.


Guilty Pleasure:  Myself, singing songs I wrote.  This year I wrote a song called 'Christmas Eve Lullaby', I love it and I listen to it all the time.  I also wrote songs called, "I Will Love." and "Call Me Maybe" but you will never hear them.



And what about you, loyal and charming and EAGER  TO COMMENT reader? What were your musical selections this year?

Love,
PTAs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...