Friday, October 18, 2013

The trailers for (and my involvement in) Inspired Guns and The Saratov Approach

This year, I was fortunate enough to be cast in two movies releasing within 4-5 months of each other. The are The Saratov Approach and Inspired Guns. They are two totally different movies and I play two totally different parts but they were/are both experiences I will value for the rest of my life.

If you live in United States and are Mormon, chances are you've already heard about The Saratov Approach, a thrilling true-story drama written and directed by my friend Garrett Batty. We did improv together for years are Comedy Sportz in Provo. If you haven't heard of it, or want to watch the trailer again, may I present the trailer to you here:



It's currently showing in Utah and will open in ID and AZ on Oct. 25.

I'm not in the trailer. My part was shot a few months(?) after principle photography was finished on the movie and I think the trailer had been released before they finished with my footage. (I think.) I auditioned for the producers and director and they gave me the part of Mark Larsen, an "older" former missionary who had also been kidnapped while on his mission in Argentina. We shot the footage in 3 hours at the house of one of the crew/producer's(?) brother's house. (I think.) It was a skeleton crew of the DP, sound guy, director, and producer ... and me. It was a part that required some real honesty and for about the first two hours I had trouble really focusing, being present, thinking too hard, and remembering the long monologue, which they were shooting in long continuous takes. I think the part would have been "fine" had they just used what they got in the first little bit, but I knew I could do better and so did they. Finally, after a few wise words from both the director Garrett and the producer Jake Van Wagoner (another dear friend), they set up and let the camera roll. All of a sudden, I got it. It made sense. I was speaking the words as if I were thinking them myself rather than remembering lines. I could picture the struggle of the missionaries, their parents, and the physical/spiritual struggles I've had in my life were creeping in to shape the tone of the take. For my one scene, I think it's 90% that one last take. What a rewarding experience. I wish I could do this all the time.

And here is the trailer for Inspired Guns, a comedy written and directed by my new friend Adam White. I plan an FBI agent who is new to field duty and it was so much fun to be a part of. I'll tell you more stories about this film as its January release gets closer. For now, all you need to know is that the cast was brilliant, fun to work with, and a delight to spend hours with in an old warehouse playing improv games while we waited for our scenes. I think it looks like it'll be funny. Enjoy!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...