Wednesday, October 9, 2013

winning ticket


I opened a show this week. It's called In the Heights


At first glance, it might appear that the streets of Washington Heights are completely different than the streets of Orem, Utah. The accents are different, the dress code is different, and they drink a lot of coffee. I felt that way as I approached the play. How do I connect with this culture? What can a white guy from Provo possibly have to say about "Puerto-Dominica-Ricans" and how can I make this story, and these people, accessible to Utah Valley?

As it turns out, I didn't need to. While the setting of this story may look, sound, and feel different from life in Utah County, there is absolutely no difference in these way people love each other, respect their community, and pursue their dreams. We are all Washington Heights. We all want the same things, and this musical, with its colorful, beautiful music and exuberant dancing, is the perfect reflection of that. I've absolutely loved working on it.

Please come see it! There's a great review here, and a great review here.

Here's the info:
Where: Hale Center Theater Orem, 225 W. 400 North
When: 7:30 p.m., 3 p.m. Saturday matinee, runs Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Oct. 3-Nov. 23
How Much: $16-$20, $4 less for children
Tickets: haletheater.org or 801-226-8600


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...