Monday, January 27, 2014

And the Nominees Are...


Did you watch the Grammy Awards last night? Me neither. But are you going to look up clips on Hulu sometime this week? Me too. (Are you going to eat ice cream while you watch? ME TOO! We are, like, total twinners!)

Anynote (did you see what I did there?), ah, music. I adore it, in all its varieties. Except not so much Metal. And I will freely admit that I do not have an extensive library of sitar music. But I really am a music junkie. And I love how music can take you to a very specific time and place and frame of mind. And so, since nobody asked, I will now share with you my own musical award show: The Faux Grammy's. 

There will be no live performances, per se. (And by “per se,” I of course mean, “of any kind.”) But perhaps you may find yourself entertaining thoughts of your own music lists. And if so, then my job here is done. Actually, my job here is done, regardless of what you do.

The Song that Immediately Takes Me Back to High School:
And the nominees are….

  • With or Without You – U2
  • New Sensation – INXS
  • You Be Illin’ – Run DMC
  • Pour Some Sugar On Me – Def Leppard
  • Wishing Well – Terence Trent D’Arby



The Song that Immediately Takes Me Back to College:
And the nominees are…


  • Nightswimming – R.E.M.
  • Selling the Drama – Live
  • One – U2
  • Stay – Lisa Loeb
  • Dissident – Pearl Jam
  • Loser – Beck
  • Dreams – The Cranberries
  • Runaway Train – Soul Asylum

The Song that Makes Me Feel I’m in a Dentist's Waiting Room:
And the nominees are...

  • I Love You – Climax Blues Band
  • You Are the Woman – Firefall
  • We Just Disagree – Dave Mason
  • Escape (The Pina Colada Song) – Rupert Holmes
  • Shining Star – The Manhattans

    The Song that Take Me Back to School/Church Dances in My Youth (’85 to ’89):
    And the nominees are…


    • Open Arms – Journey
    • Crazy for You – Madonna
    • The Flame – Cheap Trick
    • Melt With You – Modern English
    • Oh L’Amour – Erasure

      The Song I Should Not Listen to In the Car Because Suddenly I Am Driving 35 Miles Over the Speed Limit:
      And the nominees are….


      • Won’t Get Fooled Again – The Who
      • Regatta de Blanc – The Police
      • Red Barchetta – Rush
      • Electric Co. – U2
      • Panama – Van Halen

        The Song Which I Really Have No Idea How I Know All the Lyrics, Yet Somehow I Do:
        And the nominees are...
        • Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy – The Andews Sisters
        • Parents Just Don’t Understand – DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince
        • El Paso – Marty Robbins
        • Seaside Rendezvous – Queen
        • The Rose – Bette Midler

          The Song that Currently Sums Up My Life:
          And the nominees are...
          • All These Things that I’ve Done – The Killers
          • Once in a Lifetime – Talking Heads
          • Waiting for My Real Life to Begin - Colin Hay
          • Find the River - R.E.M.
          • 40 - U2




          Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...