Friday, January 10, 2014

Out with the old, in with the new

Today is my last day at my current job.

This is a good thing. I didn't get fired. I actually was led to an opportunity by my friend Carina and it worked out. I'm very excited.

Out with the old in with the new, as they say. There is something really cool about starting a new job right at the beginning of the new year. Maybe it's that you have a full year to get results. Maybe it's that everything else is starting new so why shouldn't you. Maybe it's that it's hard to keep my health resolutions so it's nice to know this is one new thing that that'll stick.

I had my exit interview yesterday. The HR rep asked me if I had feedback for the company. I didn't. I mean, I do. Like, at the Xmas party, don't give the same people who just won a huge TV the chance to pick a pocket on the execs with $200-1000 in cash. Maybe call new names for those? Or something. Nit-picky. I didn't bring it up. Water_bridge. I told the interviewer that I thought things had really progressed in a lot of good ways since I'd started. Better processes, good people, great company growth. I told her I learned a lot. I really did learn a lot. I mentioned that I really only had issues with a few people. She wasn't interested in what those were. We talked, I signed a paper saying everyone was leaving on good terms. Today I have lunch with my coworkers, turn in my gun (read: laptop) and badge, and I'm off to start my new adventure. Out of everything, I'll miss the people the most. Now I'm walking around saying, "This is the last time I'll see this conference room" and "This is the last time I'll ever edit this spreadsheet." It's fun. And bittersweet.

I'm really excited about my new job. I'm excited about the people I'll be working with and about the potential the company has to grow into something special.

Also, in my church, I got asked to move from teaching the 9 year-olds to teaching the 14 year-olds.

Also, we got rid of our Jeep Compass and got a new used car. It's like a trend! New job, new car, new church service calling, new haircut, new clothes. It's like Christmas but with less Amazon and Toys-R-Us.

I hope this all trying new things rubs off on me. I could stand to make some other changes. They say it's never too late to get the life you dream of. I'm looking at you 2014.

“We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.” ― Joseph Campbell

What are you doing that's new in 2014?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...