Friday, July 26, 2013

The other Pioneer, William Brewster, and Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner

I don't know. I think I like this Pioneer Blu-Ray home theater system:















These noise canceling ear buds would be nice too:











We REALLY need one of these. I can't hear any of our movies.














Also I'm a descendant (on my mother's side) of one of the signers of the Mayflower Compact, William Brewster. Talk about a pioneer, amirite?!

Sign that Compact, puritan!
Other notable Brewster descendants include:

Roger Nash Baldwin, co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
Thomas Pynchon, novelist
Cokie Roberts
Nelson Rockefeller
Brewster H. Shaw, NASA astronaut
Elisabeth Shue
Henry Stanton, abolitionist, social reformer
Zachary Taylor, 12th President of the United States




See the resemblence?
Julia Child
Bing Crosby
Ted Danson
Howard Dean
Katharine Hepburn
Ashley Judd
John Lithgow
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Seth MacFarlane
Sarah Palin

Update: This past weekend I learned I'm also related to Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner. She is best known as the young woman who, with her sister, Caroline, rushed to save unbound sheets of revelations while a mob was tearing down the printing office in Independence, Jackson County, Missouri. And for being one of Joseph Smith's wives (while she was already married to Mr. Lightner). Deseret Book has a bio sketch here.

So, Happy Pioneer Day, readers! Go buy some stereo equipment and do your genealogy. You never know what you may find.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...