Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sweet, Lovely Peanut Butter

I've mentioned before how I bring my lunch to work everyday, right? Well, the other day as I was eating said lunch or a peanut butter sandwich (if you read that other post you know that clearly I made this lunch, not my wife.) one of my employees asked what I was eating.

"Peanut Butter and jam," I said.

She chuckled, "Oh, that's funny. I haven't had a peanut butter sandwich since I was like 6 years old!" 

I stopped in my tracks. Mi scusi? I thought, in Italian (I do all of my judgemental thinking in Italian.)

I literally didn't see how that was possible. I eat at least on peanut butter sandwich every day. And that is not hyperbole. It is every day. And as I type that out loud, it seems a little weird. But I really do - usually for breakfast (it is easy to make the night before and put in a baggie on the counter so I can grab it on my way out the door.) It is filling, delicious, goes great with Diet Coke and while not "healthy" per say, has protein, healthy fats, and fiber if you use whole wheat bread, which I do. It is kind of the perfect meal. And if not for breakfast then it is a great late night snack. preferable on toasted bread where the peanut butter gets all warm and melty. A little Vampire Diaries on the TV. What more does a man want in life?

Because of this, I am a bit of a jam snob. No Smuckers is allowed in this house. Mostly we go homemade strawberry freezer jam, but I will also allow good quality apricot preserve, orange marmalade (the best stuff is from Ikea, in that little Swedish grocery store on the way out.) or Trader Joe's Cherry Jam, which is like jarred pie, when we can get friends to bring it in from out of state. 

The peanut butter is typically smooth, though chunky will do. I am a Skippy man, though I have recently converted to the organic Kirkland Peanut Butter they sell at Costco. The bread is usually Great Harvest Whole Wheat. Whenever I eat a PB&J on white bread it is so delicious it feels like sinning, so I try and reserve that for special occasions.

Ruth Reichel, the venerable food writer just wrote an essay on Gilt Food about how to make the ultimate peanut butter sandwich. Go read the article, but basically she suggests this:
1. Use great white bread, like challah.
2. BUTTER the bread first (and then put the peanut butter on top of that.)
3. Salt the peanut butter.
4. Microwave the whole thing for 8 seconds before you eat.

I tried it and Ruth isn't kidding around. I didn't have any white at home, but next time I do...well, I think some food experiences are sullied if they are talked about too much. I think it will be transcendent.

So guffaw if you will, employee of mine. Peanut Butter Sandwiches are not just for 6 year olds. They are delicious, amazing beautiful meals for men. I think I need one right now. 

If you want to know what to make me for my birthday (in 2 months!!) you can do these Peanut Butter and Jam Cupcakes by Carla Hall (photo courtesy of ABC.com)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...