Monday, March 26, 2012

I Smell a Hit, People!


Last week Josh posted a clip from the new show, Missing, starring Ashley Judd. His perspective on the show: nobody needs this program and the developers of the show have failed.

It got me thinking. Wouldn’t you like to be a fly on the wall in some of those development meetings? Ideas are flying around the room, creativity is flowing, Yes Men are agreeing with whatever their boss seems to think, egos are ballooning…I think I would watch a TV show about people developing TV shows! And if they were clearly misguided ideas? Why, I think that would be even more entertaining.

For example, I would love to have watched that auspicious network meeting over 30 years ago when they were brainstorming for a new, brilliant small-screen phenomenon…

VP of CBS Development (Played in my mind by Charlton Heston): Gentlemen, we need a show for the 8 o’clock time slot. Something that will appeal to men who spend gobs of money and happen to currently be stuck in arrested development. Bruce, whatta ya got?

Bruce: Yeah, how about a private investigator?

VP: Nice. All men wish they could be dangerous. What else? Hal?

Hal: Well, we could film it in Hawaii?

VP: Perfect. Every man wishes he lived in Hawaii. Nick?

Nick: How is a private investigator going to afford living in Hawaii?

Hal: We could have him live for free on an estate. That way he has no real adult responsibilities. Not even a mortgage.

VP: I likey. Nick, you’re fired, unless you get with the program.

Nick: We could have the owner of the estate give him a Ferrari to use at his leisure?

VP: Nick, you’re a beautiful man. That’s genius. Now I want a Ferrari.

Hal: Also, he should have a mini-fridge that is endlessly full of cold beer.

Bruce: Also, this guy is going to be able to get any woman he wants. A new one every week, since he won’t ever really be involved in any kind of relationship that requires maturity, sacrifice, compromise, or formal wear.

VP: Of course he is. He’s got an estate, a Ferrari, the coolest job…and what else?

Nick: A mustache?

VP: Bingo. I smell a hit, gentlemen. Nick, go pick me out a Ferrari.

Magnum, P.I.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...