Monday, February 13, 2012

Young Love



Remember Valentine’s Day in elementary school? We would gladly hand out Valentine’s cards to everyone in class. Boy, girl, weird smelling kid with a lip fungus – everyone was endowed with a written sentiment. On Valentine’s Day, charity abounded and we were all compassionate.  

There was one year when cupid paid me a visit, and I was indeed hit with his arrow. It was fourth grade and her name was Tess Dresher. I can still recall the day she walked up to me during recess and asked me to “go with her.” “Sure,” I answered. And those were the last words every exchanged between Tess and myself. We occasionally sat by each other, and I gave her a very special Peanuts Valentine’s Day card, but we never did speak, or even make eye contact. So I guess technically we are still “going together.” Boy is she going to be mad when she finds out I got married and had seven children. She’ll want to break up for sure. I’m not looking forward to that conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...