Thursday, October 25, 2012

Haunted Tracks

About 100 years ago when I was a freshman in college, I decided I needed a really wicked mix tape to listen to during the Halloween Season. I wanted music that sounded spooky or had spooky themes, but that wasn't The Monster Mash (Because doesn't that song make you want to fill your ear canals with candy corns and then let small children eat your ears?) My friends and I loved to drive around at night aimlessly and tell each other scary stories. And thus the Halloween Mix was born. Many of the songs I already had in my collection (and remember, it was the 90s, so yes, there is some Squirrel Nut Zippers and some Cranberries all up in here.) But some I gleaned from that magical Jukebox in the sky, Napster. I spent an afternoon searching for terms like "ghost" or "werewolf" to see what would pop up.

Over the years it has become sort of a soundtrack of Halloween. I'll go over to friends houses and hear it playing in the background. People have added to it or taken away, but it is a good foundation of Halloween Themed Songs for your next 90s-Themed Halloween Party. Enjoy!


A few songs that are on the original but didn't make this list because they weren't available on Spotify:
Transylvania Concubine by Rasputina (which I believe came from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack)
Grim Grinning Ghosts by The Barenaked Ladies. Wow, it just gets more and more 90s. (I did replace this one with a different version.)
Scary by Bjork. I have no idea where this song came from.
Witching Hour by Squirrel Nut Zippers. Because what says 1998 more than three SNZ songs on your mix tape?

So - what did I miss? How can I update this so it doesn't sound like I should be wearing hiking boots and a flannel shirt when I listen to it? Share your suggestions in the comments and I will update the Spotify List so that everyone gets to hear them.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...